How to Become a Montebello Police Officer
The Montebello Police Department is continually processing applications for careers as a Montebello Police Officer. Please read the below information entirely to ensure you are applying for the correct position.
There are three (3) categories for careers as a Montebello Police Officer. A description of each type and some of the different qualifications for each category includes but is not limited to:
● Police Officer Trainee - This is the beginning level law enforcement work for purpose of training to become a sworn police officer. You will be sent to a police academy for basic instruction. This position requires no previous police experience.
● Police Officer (Pre-Service) - Must have satisfactorily completed a P.O.S.T. approved basic academy or be enrolled in one at the time of application. (PROOF REQUIRED AT TIME OF APPLICATION.)
There are many police academies in the Southern California area that allow individuals to pay for their way through a police academy before being hired, also known as Pre-Service. Many junior colleges including Rio Hondo Community College offer Pre-Service police academies.
When applying for this position you must be enrolled in a P.O.S.T. approved police academy. For a list of those academies in California, click here.
● Police Officer Lateral - Possession of a basic certificate issued by the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.).
This category is for those who have completed a police academy, is currently employed as a police officer by another agency and has successfully completed probation possessing a P.O.S.T. certificate.
The Application process:
The application process is the most important beginning to your career as a Montebello Police Officer. Incomplete applications will not be accepted so it is important to make sure all the applicable areas on the application are completed without errors and that you are applying for the correct Police Position.
To get started, visit the City of Montebello career pages:
● Find the open position that best fits your qualifications. It is important to check back frequently if a position is closed as from time to time they are updated.
● Once you find the position that fits you click on the title of that position. Read the job description, examples of duties/knowledge & skills and minimum qualifications & requirements.
● Click on the “APPLY” tab in green. You will be asked to sign in or create an account. If you have not applied for a government career using NEOGOV you will need to create an account.
● Once you create an account you will be able to apply for your career as a Montebello Police Officer!
After the Application Process:
● If your application is accepted you will be invited to an orientation. It is important to check your emails several times daily, including junk mail, so you do not miss the orientation date. Please also check your emails on NEOGOV as well.
● Orientations are typically offered during the week and sometimes on weekends usually at 9 am and 1 pm. If you miss an orientation you may need to re-apply.
● At the orientation you will receive valuable information about the rest of the process including but not limited to; written test (for police trainee), physical ability test, oral interview, and backgrounds.
The following links are provided to help you begin your career as a Montebello Police Officer
The process to become a police officer can sometimes be overwhelming and confusing at times. The Montebello Training Unit is there to assist you with any questions you may have during the process.
Once you complete the initial application, the process may seem slow in the beginning but as you get closer to being invited to the background process things speed up tremendously.
Once you complete an application and it has been accepted you may request to ride-a-long with an experienced Montebello Police Officer. This will not only give you valuable insight into being a police officer this will give you an opportunity to speak with an experienced police officer who has been through everything you are about to experience.
It is recommended before your first ride-a-long to research the City of Montebello and the Montebello Police Department. The officer you ride with will ask you basic questions about the City and the department that can be easily obtained on the internet. The officer will report back to the hiring staff about your eagerness to learn about the City and Department.
Start preparing now to become a Montebello Police Officer. Gather addresses of friends, family, neighbors, and work colleagues that your background investigator will ask for. Obtain dates of any traffic citations you may have received and copies of traffic collision reports or other police reports where you may have been a victim, witness or suspect.
If you have applied for other police jobs be prepared to have that information available as well. Obtain sealed high school and college transcripts and will be required during the background.
As was stated above the process to become a police officer can seem to be overwhelming and confusing at times but the reward to enter into a career with a City and community that cares about their police officers will make it all worth it in the end.