Halloween Safety Tips
Halloween is tomorrow and we want everyone to have a safe and fun day. During the evening, there will be extra vehicles and people out on the street. Twice as many kids are hurt or killed on Halloween than any other day of the year. We can all have a great night if we remember some important safety tips.
- Make sure costumes fit well and are brightly colored so people can see you at night. Consider putting reflective tape on your costume or bags.
- Make sure you can easily see out your masks. Consider using non-toxic makeup or hats instead of masks.
- Trick or treat with a group and stay together.
- All children should be accompanied by a parent or responsible adult.
- Carry a flashlight or glow sticks so you can see and others can see you.
- Stay out of the street and obey all traffic signals and pedestrian signs.
- Try to use crosswalks when available or cross at intersections. Look both ways before crossing streets. Don't cross streets from between cars or from driveways.
- Parents should inspect all candy before allowing children to eat any. Anything opened or suspicious should be discarded.
- Homemade type treats and fruits should not be consumed unless parents know where they came from.
- Drivers, please slow down and be cautious of Trick-or-Treaters. Give yourself ample time when driving places. Being in a rush is not worth someone getting hurt.
- Only well lit homes with porch lights on should be approached.
- Review with children how to dial 9-1-1 in an emergency.
- Have a meeting place set up in case you get separated from your group.
We hope these tips are helpful and everyone has a great Halloween. You can count on the Montebello Police Department to be out there keeping the streets safe. Be sure to give us a wave when you see us around town. We may just have a treat for your bag.